Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Decorating Style

The hubs and I are in the process of redoing a few rooms in our house. A few nights ago, we were discussing what style(s) we wanted to have in our house.

I asked him, "Well, what do you like?"

"Hmmm. I'm not really sure. I don't know anything about this stuff. I just know when I see it if I like it or not. What do you like?" he asked.

"Errr... well.... I really don't know either. It's not modern. But not totally traditional or formal. I like it simple--not a lot of clutter or things--but not modern. I like lighter colors--not a lot of reds, oranges, garish greens... that doesn't seem relaxing. And... not modern."

But I realized that I still really didn't have any certain style in mind. I know I like older items--furniture and decor. I just feel like something that's been around a while has a story. It feels like a privilege to own a piece like that. I would pick an older bookcase/chair/armoire any day--even if it's one I have to refinish myself--over a new piece I just bought at some furniture store. I know that I hate (I am really trying to not use that word so much, as it isn't a feeling that one should have often, but it's pretty applicable here) modern design. And by modern, I mean a lot of geometry, cubes, and modern art. Ick. I can't say enough about how I despise modern art. I mean, my niece could make modern art. Splash some paint on a canvas, splatter it with your finger. It's basically finger painting. Just tell someone that the colors mean something ("red means anger... fierce anger..."). (Note: I am not saying that people who like modern art have bad taste. Just giving my preference. This also does not refer to the homemade easy wall art--which I like--but rather to this.) Anywho...

What's more important is what I do like (and my apparent love for italics in this post). And I think that would be a transitional (but not really)/cottage (but not too much cottage)/vintage (never enough vintage)/shabby chic/farmhouse style. I totally made that up. I have no idea what it means. But here are some pictures so maybe you can see what I'm talking about.

From BHG







These are from Velvet & Linen. You can pretty much bank on it--if it's a design from there, I will love it.







Country Living









(If the hubs is reading this, please notice the chandelier and how beautiful it is in the bathroom. Just like I told you.)

Eek! Don't these images just make you swoon? So beautiful. Now hubby and I just have to figure out how to incorporate these elements into what we have--on the cheaps. Double eek!

4 comments:

  1. I heart Velvet and Linen, too. It's perfection.

    And, I must mention that the white chairs are exact replicas of my dining room chairs. It makes me want to paint them white. Although, I also remember how long it took to paint them black. Then, I reconsider. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've given you a blog award. Go to my blog and get it.
    http://bethanyandalexvaughn.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the chandelier in the bathroom - my mother did that, and it gave me the startling idea that a bathroom can be elegant. I can't afford that, but I used a wonderful chandelier wall decal I found at http://www.wallslicks.com. Their decals have a matte finish, so the design looks painted on (and sticks just great in the bathroom, even with the steam), and it's amazing how elegant just that made my bathroom feel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We totally like the same things... and Brooke Gianetti is a decorating goddess!! I always look at Velvet and Linen! Me... I just go with what I love, or what's easiest and works for my family. Sounds hodgepodge, but it works for me. :-)

    I'm about to post up a winner, and you may be interested... hint hint hint... :-D

    ReplyDelete