Saturday, October 24, 2009

Spanish Cream Cake

I got this incredible recipe from a friend of my Paw Paw's. It was my first time making a cake from scratch (I try not to bake too often anyway, since I don't need all the sugar). And it turned out great! Here are the directions in case you want to try it, too.

Spanish Cream Cake



Cake:
2 C. sugar

1 C. buttermilk
½ C. shortening

2 C. sifted plain flour
½ C. butter

1 tsp. baking soda
5 egg whites
5 Egg Yolks

½ tsp. salt
2 C. coconut
1 tsp. vanilla

1 C. pecans, chopped



Separate eggs...





... and beat egg whites until stiff. Set stiff egg whites aside in a separate bowl.




Sift flour, soda, and salt over chopped pecans and coconut.



Beat sugar, shortening and butter until fluffy. Add egg yolks, buttermilk, and vanilla. Beat well.





Add dry ingredients and beat well.
Gently fold stiff egg whites into mixture.
Pour into 3 (9-inch) greased and floured pans.
Bake @ 350° for 30 minutes or until done (more like 15 for my crazy oven).




Allow cakes to COOL thoroughly to room temperature.



Frosting:
1 C. butter

½ C. coconut
2 tsp. vanilla

2 lbs. powdered sugar
16 oz. original Philadelphia Cream Cheese



Beat well the butter, cream cheese, and vanilla. (I actually used the 1/3 less fat cream cheese and only 1.5 lbs of powdered sugar.)
Slowly add the powdered sugar by cupfulls. Beat well. Repeat until all the powdered sugar is fully blended.
Add coconut and mix well.

Frost between layers, top, and sides. Refrigerate.





I'm linking up to Kimba's DIY Day.

I'm also linking up to  
Dare to DIY

3 comments:

  1. Your blog is simply amazing! I found your link through A Soft Place to Land and have loved checking everything out today. Hard to believe that so many different and absolutely wonderful blogs link up in one place every week.

    I have so much to learn. :)

    -Francesca

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just so impressed! That looks like quite the process, but it looks delicious. Thanks for joining in this week.

    ReplyDelete