Sunday, October 18, 2009

Taco Soup and Yogurt Cake

I always have problems thinking of what to cook when we are going to have company. Trying to cook a four-course meal or anything similar is always time- and energy-consuming. However, there is one recipe that I always feel comfortable making; everyone always loves it, and it is super easy to make: taco soup.

As I said, it is ridiculously easy to make. And yet, so yummy.

Taco Soup

2 cans whole kernel corn
2 cans diced tomatoes
1 can Rotel (tomatoes with chiles)
2 cans kidney beans
1 can pinto beans (or vice versa: 1 kidney and 2 pinto)
1 package dry Ranch dip
1 package taco mix (JC and I use 1.5 packages because we like a little extra, but either is fine)
1 to 2 lbs browned ground beef (we use extra-lean for a healthier option)

Here are the directions. Pay close attention, because it's really tough. Open all cans and packages. Pour in a large pot (do not drain the cans). Cook for 30-45 minutes. Done. Isn't that great? If you're like me and you think, "I'm tired. I don't want to cook when I get home," this is a great option. Plus, it is easy to make in bulk to either freeze or feed a large group of people. Not to mention what it offers on a cold night (which we have been having a few of lately). We usually eat it with tortilla chips and maybe top it with some cheese, but those are both optional. Yum, yum.


For my birthday, I wanted a cake (of course), but I wanted to find a healthier (not healthy, but healthier) option. I stumbled upon this recipe, and even though I was skeptical, I tried it. Even JC loved it! Always nice to bring your hubby over to the healthier side, also.

Yogurt Cake

Cake:
1 box yellow, white, or butter yellow cake mix
8 oz. strawberry yogurt
2 egg whites
1 cup water

Icing:
8 oz. Cool Whip
4 to 8 oz. strawberry yogurt

Mix cake ingredients together and cook according to box directions. My oven seems to cook much faster than others, so it was actually finished in half the time. However, I'm not sure if this was because of the different ingredients, or if it was just my oven. So check it about half way through (stick a toothpick in the center and see if it comes out clean).

After taking it out of the oven, let the cake cool. While it's cooling, mix the Cool Whip and yogurt together for the icing. I started out with 4 oz. of yogurt, and added more to taste. I think I ended up using about 5 or 6 oz. When cake is cool, spread on top and put in the fridge.



Once again, super easy and super yummy. Plus, I don't feel as bad about eating it, since it doesn't have an extra-sugary icing and lots of oil in it. I'm sure you could use different yogurt (such as lime, blueberry, etc.) for different flavors. I'll have to try that sometime. Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. Hi, I found your blog off of Rhoda's blog. It sounds so creepy and stalkerish but I was reading the comments where people shared about themselves. I saw that you were 24 and newly married; I'm 24 and I've been married 3 years, so I decided to check you out! I hope that doesn't sound creepy! lol Anyway, I enjoyed reading your past posts! I also recently posted a Taco Soup recipe - I have an unhealthy obsession with Mexican food. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy! I bet the Taco Soup would be awesome in the crock pot too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha Not creepy at all! I am always "following" blogs of people that I don't know, and I always manage to find them through the weirdest outlets. I ALSO have an unhealthy obsession with Mexican food... sometime perhaps I will tell you the story of how I once ate Mexican food three times a day (even though they were only open for two meals... go figure) for an entire summer. Well, I guess I just did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It definitely is, Brittany! I just never think of it in time to put it in the crock pot. The 30-minute way works easiest for me, but lots of my friends use the crock pot!

    ReplyDelete